Sunday 19 June 2016

New toys!

Last month I went back to doing full-time hours for the next few months and on Friday I got my first full-time pay for almost 4 years.  Oh man!  Full-time pay!  It is, as they say, totes amazes.

I had decided to buy myself an overlocker as a 'well done for going to work' present, and I went and got it yesterday.  IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL!  It's a Janome 9300DX.  Features include a 3 or 4 thread option, it comes already threaded, the upper blade is really easy to lower, the front opens up and threading is colour-coded for each path.
I thought long and hard about which one to get, and my Mr Toad tendencies did have me veering towards something super-whizzy and full of features, but in the end I realised I didn't really need top of the range - I'm a domestic sewer after all, I don't need a professional-standard machine!  And my local sewing shop had this one on offer so I was able to spend my money locally which always pleases me.

I've just had a little test, re-doing the side seams of a jersey top I made a few weeks ago, the Love Notions Laundry Day Tee.

I really like the style of this pattern.  It's the one I've mentioned before that I was a bit "hmmm"  about but which has been worn a lot more than I expected.  I still think I need to do a bust adjustment on the pattern as it does pull a bit over the bust, but in general it's a nice and easy to wear top.  I will probably make another one or two.

Anyway, when I made it, I forgot to use a zig-zag stitch so the stitches were popping like crazy every time I put it on.  BUT, this is all fixed now, thanks to my new overlocker.  The seams are now nice and stable, and properly finished.  I am so happy with my new addition...

No comments:

Post a Comment